Top 10 Foods to Reduce Inflammation
Inflammation occurs when your body’s immune system reacts to a threat and triggers white blood cells to protect against infection. However, in some cases, your body’s immune system may react inappropriately causing inflammation when there is no such threat. This happens in diseases such as arthritis. However, there are some natural anti-inflammatory remedies.
Inflammation can be characterized by a variety of symptoms. Most commonly, sufferers notice redness and swelling of their joints. Joint pain and stiffness are often present. Other, less common, symptoms of inflammation include flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, headache and fatigue.
Top 10 food that will help reduce inflammation are:
- Grapes – A substance called resveratrol found in the skins of grapes makes this fruit one of the top foods that lower inflammation. Grapes may be consumed as it is or may be pressed for the juice and eventually fermented into wine, which increases its antioxidant levels making it an even more potent anti-inflammatory agent.
- Nuts – Used as snacks or commonly tossed into salad, nuts are popular in the Mediterranean not only for the distinct taste and texture, but also for it benefits on their health. Nuts such as walnuts and almonds are good alternative sources of Omega-3 fatty acids – one of the most potent anti-inflammatory compounds that you can find in food. However, as good as these nuts are, only about 1/4 cup serving of nuts a day is recommended due to the high calorie content.
- Oily fish – When it comes to foods that lower inflammation nothing beats fish that are high in Omega-3 fatty acids. This essential fatty acid that has been proven to greatly reduce inflammation is a main component of fish oil found in cold water fish such as salmon, tune, halibut, and herring. Have yourself one of these fish at least twice a week and you’re sure to get the right amount of Omega-3 fatty acids to effectively lower inflammation.
- Berries- Berries contain antioxidants which fight against cell damage and inflammation. Types of berries include raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, huckleberries, blackberries, and cherries.
- Orange vegetables: Carrots, sweet potatoes and squash are rich in beta-carotene and vitamin A. these two compounds help in fight against inflammation. By consuming these foods on a regularly reduce the risk for inflammation.
- Whole grains- Examples of whole grains are oatmeal, whole grain pasta, whole-wheat head, and bulgur. Whole grains have three parts, the outer hull and two inner parts. The hull contains vitamin E, an antioxidant. Whole grains as well help with weight loss, which help to reduce pain from inflammation.
- Green tea is also a good anti-oxidant, but there is a type of coffee which is now available, a combination of green beans and roasted beans also proven as potent anti-oxidant. It contains more that 70 percent anti-oxidant than green tea.
- Olive oil- Olive oil contains anti-inflammatory compounds that reduces inflammation by inhibiting its ability to prevail. Replace butter and margarine with small amounts of olive oil.
- Spinach- Spinach is full of antioxidants such as vitamin E and carotenoids. This fights inflammation by reducing free radicals.
- Pineapples- they is rich in bromelain and vitamin C and. Both help in reducing swelling and pain caused by inflammation.