Healthy Seed Bread Recipe
This delicious loaf is easy to make and is full of nutrients. Seeds pack a powerful punch when it comes to eating a healthy diet and fighting disease and in this recipe they are plentiful!
Sesame seeds contain phytochemicals which can help lower cholesterol and prevent high blood pressure. They are also a very good source of calcium and magnesium (as are the poppy seeds in this recipe) which are essential for healthy bones.
Flaxseeds are an exceptionally rich source of omega 3 fatty acids which can help reduce inflammation and prevent heart disease and cancer.They are also high in fibre.
Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of B vitamins, zinc and essential fatty acids, while sunflower seeds also provide B complex vitamins aswell as a potent antioxidant team of selenium and vitamin E which can help fight cancer and heart disease.
Try to use organic ingredients where possible in this recipe to limit your intake of chemicals and pesticides.
- 12oz/340g brown spelt flower
- 1 tblsp poppy seeds
- 1 tblsp sesame seeds
- 1 tblsp ground flaxseeds
- 2 tblsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tblsp sunflower seeds
- 3 tsp gluten free baking powder
- Approx 400ml milk (soya if you do not use dairy)
- Juice half a lemon
- 1 tblsp treacle
- Heat oven to 350 degrees C / 180F or gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 450g loaf tin with a little butter.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together sieving in the baking powder.
- Mix the milk and lemon juice together and add to the dry ingredients along with the treacle until you achieve a thick consistency.
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake in the pre heated oven for 45 mins – 1 hour. When removed from the tin the base of the loaf should sound hollow when tapped and feel reasonably firm.